Friday, July 10, 2009

beijing bicycle

So, I bought a bicycle.

And my world has changed again.

When I lived in Japan, having a bicycle represented so much for me. It meant I could go anywhere. Going where I pleased. Stopping where I pleased. Bringing my camera and doing whatever to my hearts content. It changed my experience of living in Japan. I had no idea how much I actually missed it until I bought one here just a few days ago. Bejing by bicycle is epic. Already, the way I see this city has changed completely.

There is that song – the one that says, “There are 9 million bicycles in Beijing.” I love that I have become apart of these millions of bicycles. As I make my way to work now, Beijing is seemingly at my fingertips. I work in the heart of the city, on Changan Avenue – a place where emperors have strolled, protestors have marched, and torch bearers have ran. When I turn the corner onto this wide street, I can’t help but get goose bumps and consider all that has happened here.

The beautiful thing about Beijing is that it is completely flat and you can literally ride for hours and not feel exhausted. Sometimes, if I’m lucky, I’m the only one in the bike lane and weaving through traffic is more of a breeze. After work the other night, I had my camera with me and I made my way to the Forbidden City to take a few pictures. I can’t believe I’m riding these streets. Seeing these places.

I’m realizing that there is no other way to experience this city. Riding a bicycle in Beijing is like tasting that favourite red lollipop when you were a child. You wanted ever inch of it, and you would always search the bottom of the package to see if there was more.

I hope to continue to explore every corner and mysterious street here.

No comments: