Tuesday, August 11, 2009

diamond in the rough

I’m watching a show on tv at the moment, about a place a travelled to a few months ago – Xinjiang. I can’t believe I went there. The host is visiting the Uyghur minority families, dancing with the women, walking through the ancient city of Jiao He in the desert (the largest earth built city in the world), and visiting the drying houses for the grapes in Turpan. My eyes are locked to this screen. There is such a weight in my heart for this place, and I experienced many of the same things. Seeing generations living together, hearing a different language in my ear, smell bbq mutton on the streets, hearing beautiful Muslim music from people’s homes and being welcomed people I had only known for about 5 minutes.

I remember at how engaging and hospitable the Uyghr were to my friends and I. A diamond in the rough of China. I feel like this is what travel does to me. It makes my heart ache for places I have been, and almost homesick for places I haven’t been to yet. There is something continually that draws me in about this country. I think travel is one of those things that gives me the greatest feeling of timelessness. Moments pass slower and faster at once. You become more of who you are and nothing matters but finding those places you know will be etched in your mind forever.

No comments: