Friday, August 5, 2011

a babe...without a bicycle...

A few hours ago I was a babe...without a bicycle. Once again. Just a babe. No bicycle.

What is up?!?! I've gone through 3 bicycles within the past month. This is unreal. I thought I was getting better at this. My first bicycle I had for almost 2 years. That was stolen. Then, I bought another bicycle. It was blue and shiny. I thought I had a good lock. That was stolen. So, I decided to be more strategic and buy a bike with two locks, and one that was a little more low profile...darker colours, one gear, the basics. Then, I came home last night and the lock was literally chewed in half. Right out from underneath me. My bike was missing once again.

I wanted to curl up and cry. Just when I'm finally comfortable in my new neighborhood, getting to know people, and find my way around. This happens. When something is taken from you, again and again, it starts to just eat away at your soul...just a little. I feel like I'm losing my signature optimism. I need to find it again.

These past few weeks have really thrown me for a loop in Beijing. So many things have gone wrong...I got locked out of my apartment; I couldn't seem to do a thing right at work; bike got stolen; struggling with cultural differences again.

One thing all of this is teaching me is I need to be strategic. In every area of my life. Strategic (and understanding) in how I communicate with people; strategic in where I park my bicycle and how I lock it up; and strategic in how I do my work and deal with my students. But, most of all strategic in giving myself a break. Strategic in investing in myself. Everything requires some kind of strategy here.

I went out this morning and bought myself a new bike. I got on the bike and rode. I'm not letting this place get the best of me today.

I just want my dad to tell me everything will be ok...

3 comments:

laureneh said...

That sucks.

I'm not your dad Jane, but everything WILL be ok.

:)

Jacinda said...

Hey don't worry about it. Besides, my car was stolen twice and broken into an additional time when I was in Calgary! It's not just Beijing! Hang in there.

Janelle said...

Oh Jane, I am sorry to hear. It is easy to feel shaken when the tough times come. I remember this feeling a few years ago we went through a REALLY difficult time. Everything seems like a fog but looking back now I can clearly see that we standing on the solid rock, a firm foundation.
May He wrap His loving arms around you today.
Hugs,
Janelle