Thursday, January 31, 2008

random chills...

At the mercy of the Starbucks internet, and the buzz my coffee is providing, I sit here again, warmed by the atmosphere, but chilled at the reality that I am seeing infront of me.

Over the last couple days, I have moved into my apartment at Tienhu Garden. I have a lovely view of the green park, twenty floors below. Many restraunts and small shops just waiting for me to visit. Finally! I have managed to set up my room, and get a few odds and ends tied up, but as I think about my apartment there is still so much that needs to be accomplished. I have no plates, no cutlery, no clean water, no carpet, no plants. But, none of this seems to matter at the moment. Is it possible that my aparment is colder than it is actually outside? Yes! In China, there is no central heating. We are left to be affectionately close to our space heaters and hot water bottles. I think I saw my breath last night as I went to sleep.

There are little mundane tasks that have been taking up more time than I ever anticipated. This is China, I'm learning.

My stomach is feeling funny. China funny. I need vegtables. And have a particular strange craving for broccoli.

Why is everyone staring at me?

Can I just have some food that actually tastes like what it looks like?

This time of year also seems to bring a wet kind of cold in the air. And there seems to be an ever present grey in the sky. As I look out the window, there are so many people rushing by to go home for Chinese new Year. But, as has been splashed all over the news here, many people have been left stranded over the last few days, due to trains being delayed or canceled. As I have made my way to work in the morning, I noticed seemingly hundreds of families with small children and couples, sleep on the train station floor, or huddled together as they wait for their train. It is quite a sight to see people stranded before the holidays. Maybe this is what has left a chill inside me.

I just feel a bit weary today. Its just with things feeling unsettled still, and not having some of my basic needs worked out quite yet, this chill can't seem to be comforted. Not everyday will be like this. Not everyday will be like this. Not everyday will be like this...

1 comment:

bri said...

"can I have some food that actually tastes like what it looks like"

I always had the opposite problem in BD...food always pretty much tasted how it looked. mushy and yellow. yes, yellow has a taste. Its spicer that you might imagine at first.