Thursday, February 7, 2008

happy chinese new year...



In the midst of the cool weather, the chinese all seem to come out and walk the streets to enjoy the beauty of the flower market in Guangzhou and celebrate the new year with fireworks and good food. I never thought coming to China that I would get to experience another new year! I couldn't help but feel excited last night watching the fireworks from my apartment window...thinking that it was giving me a fresh start for my journey here in China. Full of new beginnings and challenges, but mostly having the chance to explore another part of the world.


The last few days a have had the chance to visit the flower market here in Guangzhou with one of my new Chinese friends here. Every flower that you can imagine, of every colour, lines the street of Beijjing lou. People shouting at you from every direction to get you to buy their flowers. Orchids, roses, lillys are just a few of the flowers that you can feast your eyes on. Red lanterns hang from the trees above and the smell of incense is in the air. The air is cold, but the atmosphere is warm and rich.


My friend Susan, a local Chinese girl who knows the Big man, invited me to visit a local market here so we could buy food for our new years dinner. Little did I know the sights I would be seeing there. Every kind of fish you can imagine, fresh veggies and fruit, peeking duck, and chicken. I will never look at chicken the same. Its is so fresh here, that you can pick your live chicken from the cage, the shop owner will kill it for you, and they take all the insides out and prepare it for you. I found I couldn't take me eyes off this whole process! As we walked back to the apartment, I tried to take in our surroundings. A very local area of GZ, like nothing I had seen before. Local Chinese men playing cards near their shop, a woman carrying a large bag of rice on her shoulders, and children playing with firecrackers on the street.We brought back all of our findings to her apartment and I was taught the fine art of Chinese cooking. We prepared fish, tofu, ginger, cilantro, chicken, beef. We gathered around a small table in the humble surroundings and enjoyed the hot pot together. I felt so thankful for the food and company in front of me.


Chinese new year has brought new things already, but has also reminded me of the importance of friendship and community. Even though the local Chinese here are probably not making alot of money, they do not even hesitate to give the best of what they have. This in itself is such a huge gift. Happy Chinese New Year!

2 comments:

bri said...

Happy Chinese New Year!

I hope you got some fire cracker photos or at least played with some yourself! Miss you friend, it is good to see your photos up here again.

Cheecha85 said...

Jane, I'm so glad you update your blog. Miss seeing you all the time. Sure is nice to know what your up to though!!