Monday, January 14, 2008

China...thus far...



To all my friends and family, I loved seeing you over the holidays - even if it was just for a short time, it truely sustained me. I feel so supported by all of you and I carry that with me wherever I go, I want you to know that.


I have arrived in China! Safe and sound. And, in a strange way, I feel a bit more like myself again...in a foreign land. Realizing this is where I'm at, at this stage in my life. Just thought I would give you a sort of detailed blog from the last few days.

I can't believe I am standing on China's ground. Coming to terms with its sights. Smelling the smells. Taking in the people. Learning the behavior. Trying to cope with the unexpected and starting a new chapter in my life. I was reading something about culture shock this morning, and it said that after spending and extended time in another culture or environment, when you return to your familiair environment, you often feel uncomfortable or unsure about how to act, what to say or do. I felt this tension a little when I was home. Having been in Japan for a while, and now attempting to take on this new challenge in China...as scary as it is...I feel like I have somehow returned to myself again. My explorer self...the part of me that I have missed these last few weeks.

After long hours of flying, many transfers, heavy baggage and raw hands, I arrived to a smoggy Hong Kong. Feeling tired but excited, I stepped off the plane and was greeted by the 25degree humidity. After finally finding my friend Megan, crying and hugging for a bit, we made our way to the hotel to spend the night in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is a city that reminded me a little of Osaka. And yet I am already starting to see some major differences between these 2 countries. There is such a greater presence of foreigners of all kind here, everywhere you go. And pollution - its everywhere. You can see it in the air and feel it creep into your nostrils. Hong Kong is a lively city - the skyline and the harbour and the bright lights. Ican't wait to explore it further in the future.

The next day, Megan and I made our way to Guangzhou (pron - GWANG-JO) on the train, and I further began to see how much different this experience will be from Japan. Here, it seems like you need your passport for everything. And there is an obvious presence of security and police here. And I'm wondering the wholhe time - do I feel safe or should I be afraid? I look out the window on the train, and not only see some of the most beautiful rolling hills I have seen, but I also see old people along the side of the road and in run down homes. I see piles of garbage and children urinating against a brick wall. Going to the washroom on the train was an even bigger shock, and I found myself not only trying to "aim" in the direction of the squat toilet, but noticing that I can see the train tracks at the bottom!

Learning that this country has little surprises here and there, having to get another visa (apparently Hong Kong is like its own country, so you need to get multiple entry type...), and being scared out of my pants that I couldn't cross the border at Guangzhou, just added to the gong show quality of my experience so far. Then, loosing Megan at the point for about an hour after crossing the border, in a crowded, unfamiliar train station, where I didn't know the language...well, I will just leave it to your imagination how I felt. And yet, as soon I remember myself saying, "God, I don't know what to do...I need your hand" - He came, and grabbed it, and there was Megan around the corner!

We then made our way to her apartment in a taxi. I was struck by the apparent no rule driving in GZ. I may have grabbed the "Oh shit handle" more than a few times! Once arriving at Megan apartment just outside the city, I was completely taken by the tropical and lush green view from her balcony and the beautiful marble floors. No city noise, only the sound of children playing in the courtyard, and neighbors singing to the tune of something or other. Time to FINALLY have a shower and send an email or two and relax. One of Megans roomates went to the Red Lantern to get some kung-pow chicken for us to eat that evening...so good...i love china already.
---

I met my assigned TLC person for English First the next day, and she took me to my hotel in downtown Guangzhou. You know the displays in IKEA catalogue? Yep. Thats my hotel room!!

ITs a new hotel in the city, and it feels so comfortable and lovely! Lots of desk space to work on my computer, and a lovely white bed to look out the window. Susan was so welcoming. And she is a follower, both of us recognized this somehow in each other when we first met. She then took me out for lunch, and let me know that she can answer any questions I might have about living in China over the next year. I wish you all could meet her.

Susan introduced me to another teacher, Dina, and she informed us that the next day we would be taking a tour of GZ the next day, courtesy of English First! We could sleep in, and at 2:30 we were met by the tour guide, Luna. This, is when I began to see, with my eyes wide open , the real Guangzhou.


Camera in hand, I didn't want to miss a thing. Luna taught us how to use the Metro which is so easy! I'm so glad to have conquered the Osaka subway. In a way its primed me for this. We made our way to the 3 Trees Temple, which houses the biggest buddha in GZ. Already, I see the older quality of China, and the ornamental character that makes up the temples here. Many of Asian philosophies and supersitions are present here, which I find so interesting, but so see the little nuances that separate Japan and China is even more fascinating. We wandered the grounds of the temple, and then hailed a taxi, almost lost our life (seriously!), and walked down a busy shopping street.

We were greeted by buskers, food stalls and many many people! The sights, sounds and smells are all encompassing. Octopus on a stick, people shouting, duck hanging from a hook, dim-sum, large red lanterns all around, and the smell of...well...something strange in the air, made for an eye opening experience! Just when I thought that was it...Luna led us down a side street...at the very heart of the city. I noticed a change straight away from the commercial street.
Children and families line the street, trying to sell various good. Baskets of spices. Fish. Pets in cages(well...animals...but, I mean, come on, this is China -they are probably someones dinner.) Children with no shoes. Unrecognizable smells. Bicycles whiz by. I look up and see some of the most run down homes I have ever seen. Old men, using an old crate, try to beat each other at a card game that has probably been going on for years. And a man with clubed feet, looks me in the eyes, wanting any money I have money. And a little boy stops to let his father help him urinate along the corner of the street.

And I walk by, look down, at my clean, untouched, western, north american shoes...

Also, since GZ is the adoption capital of China, we saw many North American parents with Asian children in their arms, as we walk to Shamen Island, which has a kind of European feel.

After our welcome cantonese dinner, complete with duck and pigeon (which surprisingly tastes alot like chicken), we walked around a few of the quaint Chinese shops - filled with dresses, silk screens and jewellery, we took the metro back to the hotel.

I felt so thankful these last few days, to feel so warmly welcomed to China. I'm sure the next few weeks, with finding my apartment and getting settled into my job will be full of new experiences as well. Hopefully, experiences that don't involved the "Oh, sh** handle" too many times.
xo.


1 comment:

bri said...

sounds crazy and exciting jane! I can't wait to hear more about it all!