Friday, May 23, 2008

dinner with a doctor

Tonight, I had a dinner like none other in a small restraunt, next to a temple in a local area of Guangzhou. Sitting amoung me were two students who I now call friends. One woman, Ada, had helped me a few weeks ago when I needed to go to the doctors. She was not only a helpful friend, but a translator for me as well. During my brief visit to the hospital, we met Dr.Gao, a middle aged man, who, despite the misleading grungy surroundings of the hosptial, reassured me with his wise smile that he would be able to help me. Not only did he help me, but we had a great conversation - he asked me where I was from and what I thought about China. We exchanged buisiness cards and said to each other that we should meet for dinner, as he seemed very eager to practice his english. I thought nothing of it, and went along my way.

So, tonight, in this small restraunt, near a temple, my 2 friends, the doctor and I enjoyed a meal together and perhaps one of the most memorable conversations I have had.

As we were sitting there, enjoying some traditional Cantonese food, I was thinking to myself...I would never do this back home. Have dinner with my doctor! What? I was explaining this to Dr.Gao, "In Canada, its not really considered doctor-patient protocol. We come to see you, get better and then go home." The look on his face was one of shock, he said "But, why??? When I meet with my patients at work - I am their doctor. But, it doesn't mean that we can't be friends. I consider us to be equals with each other." I thought about this and I love China for this reason that the conventions that I have grown up with are being challenged, and as we continued our conversation, I did infact realize that we were equals.

We talked a little about traditional Chinese and Modern medicine and his feelings about this. We discussed his experiences in the hospital and a little about the Chinese healthcare system. He told me that although he doesn't have a religion he practices, he says that he can't help but feel we were all created by something greater than ourselves. He used the example of when I came to see him with my ear problem. He said that the ear has a very intrict and complex nature. There is just a small enough space that it really can only be observed from this place. He said in the 17 years he has worked at this hospital, he has experienced many things that he could not really explain. He then joked to me, "Like, meeting you for example!"

The four of us discussed Chinese culture, history and philosophy. We spoke of evolution and creationism. We exchanged in each others languages, and as we sat there, our meal finished and our tea still hot, I felt so lucky and honored to be sitting next to these people. Trying to remember the Chinese tradition of always keeping your neighbors cup full, I managed to do this and try to take in as much information as I could while listening to the doctor.

There are moments in life, I think, where something is revealed through other people. We begin to not only hear what people are saying, but we attempt to listen to the meaning behind these words. I felt myself so intrigued by their stories, their experiences and how they expressed themselves.

So, I now have a friend who is also my doctor. And, this is ok with me. Its all part of the randommess this country brings. Through this, I'm really learning in fact how unconventional and approachable China can actually be, if you allow yourself to be open and friendly to people. Today was a good day in China.

2 comments:

bri said...

i like this. even though I haven't really been commenting lately, I have been reading your thoughts and thinking of you. Good to hear you are well.

Jacinda said...

Oh Jane, what a wonderful post. It makes my heart happy. Wish i could have been there with you.