Wednesday, May 21, 2008

the morning after mourning...

Quite frequently, when I sit down to write, I put on this song: Al Otro Lado del Rio

I recently found out that the title translated from Spanish is "The other side of the river." I have listened to this song for past 6months, and have been unaware of the lyrics for this entire time. All I know is that this piece of music somehow helps me to get my thoughts straight, and gives me a perspective that I have never had before. As soon as I hear the opening of this music, I find myself slowing down and paying attention to my thoughts and maybe the things I have learned from the day.

I first heard this song after watching the movie "The Motorcycle Diaries." Since watching the scene where Che swims to the other side of the river to be with the people he cares about...I secretly wanted to be like that. I wanted to be in that water, swimming as best as I could, knowing that what lies on the other side was authenticity and friendship. During the past week, after the earthquake in Sichuan, there have be moments of horror, mourning, chills, victories and miracles. In the midst of all this, I had no idea what the best response would be. I think it certainly puts life into perspective and is a sobering reminder of the the things that are important. In the last three days, I have thought about this. And this is what I have come up with:

1. live for something bigger than yourself.
2. extend care to others where you have the power to.
3. be thankful for every little gift, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.
4. remind yourself of people who love and care about you.
5. remind yourself to care for the people who love and care about you.
6. listen.
7. have people in your life to help grow your talents.
8. do what you love
9. work towards something.
10. explore the other side of things.


I don't know if I will ever fully actualize any of these things. I'd like to think that I try. There is nothing like an earthquake to remind yourself that life really is fragile. Being in China has heightened this. These are the things I want to dedicate myself to. Well, the things I hope to dedicate myself to.

As I sit here and listen to the song I speak of, I don't know the words of the music, but I feel like I somehow do. The melody lets me know that everything is going to be ok, and the atmosphere that exists currently in China will pass. Why is it often tragic events that cause us to examine our lives? I wish I didn't take life for granted like I sometimes do. It really is worth savouring. Everyday. Every moment. I just wish this thought hadn't come after the fact that so many peoples lives were taken.

For the people of Sichuan.

No comments: