Tuesday, May 13, 2008

sichuan earthquake

Today, there was an earthquake in the south western part of China. I found out through an email from a friend asking me if I was ok. I am safe and sound in my bed at the moment. I wasn't aware this even happened until just a short while ago. It is now 1am in the morning. Apparently, the earthquake happened in Sichuan province, close to the city of Chengdu at around 2:30pm this afternoon. I still know very little about all this. Only that the death toll is at an estimated 8500. I think many of my friends in China and I are just finding out about this now. This is bizarre. I'm not sure what to think at this moment.

Here I was worrying about my own, stupid problems today. I was just planning a trip to Chengdu with a friend (his hometown) at the end of this month, and something inside of me was telling me that I shouldn't be going, so I cancelled the trip yesterday. And then this happens today...

What should be our response? What can I do with myself? This is scary. I live in this country. I will need to face my students tommorrow, many of them have family and friends there. This is overwhelming...

No comments: