Sunday, May 11, 2008

the flame of the torch...

A few days ago, the Olympic Torch came to Guangzhou. There were many preparations around Guangzhou - including all the security and signage that comes with a big even like this. For the longest time, it didn't really seem and even like this would actually happen, since things in China often take place in what feels like a bubble. When I came into work that day, the excitement in the air was paliatable, mostly due to the students waving flags and many were wearing red as a symbol of luck for China.

I remember thinking to myself what an incredible time to be in this country. I not only could see something like this on tv, but I could stand on the street, be surrounded by waving flags and the excitement of Chinese people. I was worried that I might not be able to see it because I had a class scheduled at this time, but my student and I were honest with each other and said we would much rather go outside and see this incredible event. As soon as we stepped outside, the excitement in the air was as thick as the humidity. I saw children on their parents shoulders, teenagers with the China flag painted on their face, and crowds of people anxiously waiting on the side of the road. It was one of the first days here where I could actually see blue sky. My hair stood on end as I looked around and waited.

And then the moment came. Peoples cheering started to become louder, and louder. Hands began to clap, and flags were waved even higher. It was almost as if royality was on its way. Despite being a few rows behind from the street, through a small whole in the midst of the crowd, the torch bearer appeared. I could see his flame and as he ran he waved his hand proudly in the air. Watching this with a few of my students made this sight even more memorable. It was like something happening in slow motion. History was happening before my eyes.

To see a country come together like this, watching people's excitement and anticipation, gave me a refreshing perspective on my time here in China. I have the chance to be apart of this time of expectation, waiting for something grand and glorious.

No comments: