Sunday, May 4, 2008

qinyuan...


This weekend was a rest. A retreat. A time to enjoy with friends and relish in nature and sit back and enjoy the hotsprings of a place call Qinyuan (ching-u-en).
Just a few hrs outside Guangzhou, this city is what people call the "backyard" of Guangzhou. I immediately found out why. Lush, green fields, less traffic, fresh air and hotsprings. My friends and I stayed at a lovely hotel where we could spend time soaking in the hot water and , and also have the chance to enjoy good conversation, a cold beer and good food. While I thought it might be a chance to feel anonymous for a while, I knew this was out the window when I found out I was the only foreigner at the entire facility. This is always the inevitability we face in China. Still, I just enjoyed myself and once I dipped myself in the hot water, I was reminded I was on vacation, and everything melted away.
One thing I love about living in this country, I never know what I will do from day to day. Take gorge drifting for example! Part of our vacation involved going in a small rubber raft down rushing waters in the middle of a gorge in the mountains! Here I am, surrounded by thousands of Chinese people, wearing a ridiculous helmet and having the time of my life as my friend and I make it down the gorge. I realized I hadn't screamed and laughed like that in what seemed like so long. It was a complete adventure!
Even, as all of us were driving back in the car along the highway, I fely like I was back in Canada with good friends, just coming back from a trip to the mountains. The open road, a comforting sunset and music in our ears. Going on vacation, even if just overnight, seems to release something inside us. We recognize ourselves again, and we begin to lend ourselves to adventure or simply the chance to relax freely.

1 comment: