Saturday, August 23, 2008

i want to travel here...

I just watched a documentary program on the Yi people in Yunnan province in China. I have been researching this mysterious place over the last couple weeks. Firstly, I must say that whenever I watch documentaries, I always feel so anxious and I can feel my heart starting to beat quickly. I want to be there. I just want to impulsively drop everything and go. Documentaries are dangerous that way.

After numerous conversatsions with students and people giving me some adivce, I am desperately hoping to travel here in a few weeks, as I have some holidays coming up. Yunnan is known to be one of the more unique areas of China where minority culture is still present. The more I learn about this province, the more I want to explore its territory.

Yi people are known for their open hearts, their beautiful minority songs, and their large glasses of alcohol and their overwhelming hospitality. Part of my intrique to travel here is the unique style of dress worn by the women in this area. Its hard not to be captivated by such beautfiul colours and the mysterious landscape and culture of this area.

I sometime forget how large this country is, and that the culture can be SO varied from one place to the next. Students reminded me yesterday that in China there are over 56 different dialects, which obviously lends itself to nuances in both commmunication and culture. This is one of the most fascinating things about living here. To be able to learn its history, walk on its ground and learn about its people.

No comments: