Thursday, October 23, 2008

dashan

Today I emailed a guy who goes by the Chinese name of "Dashan" (aka Mark Rosewell, his English name). He is perhaps the most famous foreigner in China. Originally from Canada, he has actually been living in China for a little under 20 years. I've come to know him through hearing the students talk about him, and through seeing him on tv. He is known for almost perfect Chinese language skills, his sense of humour, and his engaging charisma with the Chinese public.

I emailed him on a whim because I will be travelling to Beijing (where he lives) next week, and my friend and I got this idea to try to see if we could have lunch with him. Sadly, he will be out of the country when we are there, but he thanked us for the invitation.

There is something so intriguing about this guy. He has lived in China for so long, and has obviously worked so hard at learning the language, that when you close your eyes and listen to him speak...you would swear he is Chinese. When he walks into a room, others appear immediately engaged. He has become so successful - doing numberous tv shows, commercials, giving public appearances and speeches. When he speaks, you can see the passion he has for the Chinese language. Its actually really inspiring.

But, Dashan raises an even deeper question in me. Is it really possible to be completely integrated into another culture? He has lived most of his adult life in China, which now gets me to thinking which culture he would most identify with. Some argue that he has even better Chinese than Chinese themselves! Would he feel pulled by Chinese culture and his own Canadian culture? I've heard that there comes to a point when foreigners live for such a long time outside their own country, that they begin to no longer identify with their former customs. They begin to take on a new set of customs or habits.

Even in myself, I can remember in Japan how my body language and social cues seemed to be shaped by the things I would observe in others. I didn't realize at the time, but now in China, I can see again how this is happening. Its really strange to step back and take a look at yourself and how the places you have been, the people you have met or the experiences you have had, have all made a literal "impact" on you.

What happens, then, when a foreigner returns to their own country. Are the made to feel ambiguous about their own culture?

Dashan, I wish we could meet for lunch. I've already made a list of the questions I would ask you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know Dashan, who is really famous in China with his excellent Chinese.I think in some case, it will be really difficult for a foreigner to integrated into another culture, because there will be gaps between you guys. However, if you really want to, there will always be a way. I think there is no need to focus on your original culture, because something that generated when you are young will be rooted, while other things may change you even if you are in your own country.