Friday, December 19, 2008

Today I was at the dentist's office for my yearly check up at home in St.Albert. In between teeth examining and cleaning, my hygenist was so eager to ask me about China. Her and I exchanged stories about places we had been and places we want to go. She reminded me of the excitement I feel about the experiences I'm having, living abroad. It was like we had known each other in another life or something, we could barely keep up with each other as we were talking.

When I was home for Christmas last year, the same thing happened to me when I was developing my photos from Japan. A complete stranger was so excited to see my pictures and ask me questions.

As we were talking today, I felt free to just share about my experiences openly. Sometimes, when I talk about China I find I have to hold myself back a little. I have learned that there are some people who will show a genuine interest, and others who just don't. Then, there are those who don't know how to respond. I know this isn't an experience that people have every day. But, it is my experience. I own it. Even when I hear myself say it, it sounds strange. But, this is me and I love my life, and I'm learning to share it with those who want to hear, and those who I want to hear from.

My dental hygenist today told me she was really proud of me, in a sense, for doing what I'm doing. For being brave enough to travel on my own, to see a new way of life and to challenge myself. All this coming from a person I just met. And my dental hygenist at that!

I'm so glad that living away is lending itself to refreshing conversations like the one I had today.

Being home again is filled with so many emotions. I'm just trying to keep up with them all.

No comments: