Wednesday, January 7, 2009

pages

I looked at my passport today. Flipped through the pages. And not a page was blank. Everyone last one of them - full. Full of stamps, holiday or working visas, dates of passing through cities and countries, and stories. As I flipped through these well travelled pages, I was at first stressed because I knew that I a. needed to get a new passport or b. fill it with more pages. But, now I see what a divine problem this actually is.
My passport is full. These pages have told a story to me about who I am, where I have been and where I am going. If I need to get a new passport, I think I would actually be a little sad, knowing I would have to part with it. This book has gotten me into countries, gotten me out of problems, and gotten me into problems, and has been a kind of identity while being away. I would much rather fill it will more pages, more pages to be filled and stamped. I made it in and out of Spain and Morrocco safely on this passport, almost left it behind once in Japan, got it wet a couple times, took it through the jungle of customs at the Vietnam border and gave it to authorities when I first arrived in China.

Tommorrw, I have to go to the Canadian Embassy in Guangzhou to decide what needs to be done with it, as a new visa will soon need to go in there. I hope that I can keep it and continue adding to the story.

Does your passport say anything about you?

2 comments:

bri said...

A full passport is beautiful. I am jealous. and so glad I got to see you while you were here.

Anonymous said...

My passport do not say anything to me.
Coz````I am not appling passport yet. 嘻嘻

ha ha ````