Thursday, February 5, 2009

...

The night I left Guangzhou, there is something I will remember forever. I wanted to share it with you.

As the night of my goodbye party came to a close, and there were just myself and a few students left, I sat with them and we talked and enjoyed our last few moments together. These people were my first impression of China and the Chinese. They helped me to become a better teacher, and a better person. I felt so sad to be leaving another group of great students.

 As we got up to leave, we asked the bar staff to take a picture of us. As I was standing there with just 10 students, one of them reached out to hug me. I felt her starting to cry. These students who I now consider my friends, all started to crowd around and put their arms around us. It was quite a strange sight, in the middle of a practically empty bar. We laughed, and told each other that this year has been so memorable. I told them that they make my job so meaningful and wonderful. One of them then said so heartfeltly, "Jane, you are the best wonderful."

We all burst out laughing with joy, while she then questioned, "What, is my grammar not correct?" We assured her that she said what was in her heart.

I guess for people who are in a teaching role, we never really know the kind of impact we have on students. We just try to do our job and have fun. On the flip side, I don't think students know the kind of imact they have on us. I try to carry that with me wherever I go.

No comments: