Monday, September 7, 2009

impressions of thailand


(sunset, pattaya)

Travel has been my teacher, one that I keep learning from again and again.

I’ve been home from my trip to Thailand for a week now. As I have been pouring through my photos from this country, I felt like I soaked in an adventure. In just the week I was there, this country left some impressions on me that I wanted to share with you.

When you are greeted by the Thai people, they extend to you a “sawadeeka!” with a beautiful smile, and place the palms of their hands together and bow. As I traveled to a few different countries and citites over the past couple years, I love learning about the nuances each place has. I think the way you are greeted by someone, shapes how you see them. I really got the sense that generally the Thai people are very peaceful and open. Since living in China, I have developed this theory called “the blonde hair/blue eyes syndrome.” While many places make you feel like you are an outsider, China not only does this but also examines your every little, tiny seemingly insignificant difference from the Chinese. At times, a simple walk down the street can sometimes be a hard pill to swallow. In the short time I was in Thailand, I was said hello to several times, and was treated with kindness at first glance by random strangers.

(traditional thai crown, bangkok)
Thai architecture. It is among the most intricate, pristine and colourful I have seen yet. The Grand Palace in Bangkok is a good example of this. At every turn, you see stunning towers, columns and bright reds and golds. Every statue, every corridor, every doorway has a distinct purpose or gives you a sense of symmetry. Getting to photograph this place was such a highlight for me.

(janice and i at the bangkok airport)

I live for moments like these. One night in Pattaya, I decided to walk to the beach from our hotel (all of 2 minutes) to take a swim. I managed to arrive there just as the sun was setting. Perhaps, it was the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen. Brilliant colours – blues, pinks, reds, all reflecting on the warm water. As I swam with this gorgeous view in front of me, I stretched out my hands and took in a deep breath.


(floating market, pattaya)

As I sat to think about the places we saw (the Reclining Buddha, the Grand Palace Wat Po), the things we did (visited a floating market and rode an elephant), I felt so lucky. Every experience always teaches me something new and helps me realize that this world is so diverse, colourful and beautiful.

(my bag, at the Grand Palace)

It also reminded me that I really do like living in China. It just took me some time outside to gain perspective again. I want to keep learning and keeping seeing new things and enjoying my job and the people I meet. Keep living life with my eyes wide open.

(janice and i at the grand palace, bangkok)

I'm slowly uploading my pictures. You can check them out here: www.flickr.com/photos/myfeetandi

No comments: