Monday, September 7, 2009

so, my mom turned 60...


Recently, my beautiful mom had her 60th birthday. As I'm in China, I couldn't be there, which was so difficult. I decided to make light of the situation and get someone at her party to read this outloud. I had so much fun writing it. I hope she liked it!
----------------------------------------

Mom, I really can't believe that this moment is here. You are 20 years old! Happy Birthday. What a milestone. You are in your prime! You have so much ahead of you - drinking with your "cool mature" friends around the university; traveling to a third world country in October with your boyfriend; trying experimental procedures (aka. lasic eye surgury); and going off early in the morning to attempt nursing classes with a huge hangover. My, my, what a great age!

(Pause here.)....

Oh, wait...your 60?? 60 years old? Someone obviously forget to keep me in the loop. Seriously. How do you hide your age so well? What is your secret?

Mom, you are a gem. I can imagine, knowing you are there right now, with your "cool mature" friends, celebrating (ahem. Everyone - could turn to Sheila for me and see if there is a bottle of wine next to her........see? I told you. She just likes to try and fit in with you all)

But seriously, Mom you deserve every thing good today. Everything fun, beautiful, hilarious and wonderful. You are my mom, my teacher, my nurse, my mentor and my friend. Even though I have been living away, the miles immediately disappear as soon as I hear, "Hi honey...," on the phone. I love that I can laugh with you about the silly things, cry with you about the serious things, and learn from you about the life things. I love your energy towards life and the light you add to any room.

I can't wait for you and Dad to come and see me next month. Interesting, you and China are both turning 60 this year!! But don't worry - unlike China, you are 60 years young!

Mom, I hope you have having such a great evening, surrounded by the people you love. I wish I could be there. I love you mom!!

Jane.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you honey for your beautiful words read at my party by Julie.
People laughed, I cried and all was good! Lv, Mom (30 days and counting before we see you).