Saturday, September 12, 2009


The city of Beijing is in it’s month of preparation. Preparation for the big National Holiday in October. Basically, China’s 60th Birthday. Everyday, as I make my way to work on my bicycle, and cycle down the famous Changan Avenue, I notice something new. A few days ago, it was a huge presence of police lining the streets. Yesterday, it was bright flowers that were being watered and used to decorate the corner of the street. Today, it was the military jets parading in the sky as they evidently rehearsed for what promises to be a poignant day in China’s history.

I love the atmosphere this kind of event brings. Traffic goes slower, people stop to look, and everyone has to re-arrange their plans in some way or another. The city is caused to pause.

As I couldn’t take my usual route home, I took the back streets just around the corner from Changan. I was brought back to the original reason why this city has its charm and intrigue.

Hutongs. Old style alleyways, with traditional Beijing architecture.

People here are out on the streets, enjoying BBQ, having a beer or selling flowers at their shop. Couples walking hand in hand, local vendors selling fruit, and cute cafes with soft lighting. The local life in Beijing is what adds character to this city. At night, there is a glow that comes from these streets. I found myself slowing down and was reminded – this is the China I came to see. This is the China that captivates me.

No comments: