Monday, September 21, 2009

changing leaves, changing seasons

Last night was the first night of official cool weather in the city of Beijing. I was walking in Hou Hai to meet a friend for dinner, and I needed to put on a scarf it was so windy. The trees were showing a hint of red and my nose was getting cold. I could not only see change around me, but feel it as well.

Over the past four years, I have experienced fall in many different cities, but I have to say Beijing is my absolute favourite. The character of this city is at its best in Fall. The colour of temples seems to become more vibrant among the surrounding reds and yellows of maple trees. The mountains hugging the outskirts of the city seemingly call you to climb their hills, and the traditional culture of Beijing comes alive as people prepare for special holidays like National Day and Mid-Autumn festival, by putting bright red lanterns in front of their homes.

Over the coming weeks, I have a few visitors coming to Beijing. My original excitement for this city has come around again. The possibility of more places to see, more experiences to have, looms around every corner. Just something I was thinking about today.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Wow...I was stumbling through the blogosphere and found you blog. Very cool!
This may sound creepy, but did you ever counsel at Gull Lake Camp in Alberta? I think you may have been my counselor, years and years ago!
If not, just ignore me :)