Sunday, December 6, 2009

Soon it will be Christmas Day...

Soon it will be Christmas Day…

So much happens between my posts these days. One of the unique challenges this country gives me is a lack of access to my blog. Thanks to my friend Jacinda for posting this for me. There is so much on my mind these days.

My parents came to China. This was such a gift for me. We traveled around together for about two weeks. Having them with me in this country made me realize a couple things. Things have changed again between my parents and I. I feel a stronger sense of responsibility to take care of them. I felt this more strongly than I have ever before. I don’t know if it just because I’m growing or if China is teaching me these kind of values, but all I know is I love it.

I also was reminded again of what I’m doing over here is really unique. My job, my interactions with people from other cultures, attempting to speak Chinese and make my way around this country. I sometimes lose perspective here, but all it took was my parents to give me hug to say, “I’m so proud of you.” As the three of us celebrated a kind of belated 27th birthday for me, never did we all think that we would be in China!

I was reminded again of the mysteries and complexities of this country, as we traveled through the cities of Xian and Shanghai, and cruised down the Yangtze River. This country continually intrigues me, confuses me, and sobers me. To have my parents alongside me, seeing the things I confront here, gives me a kind of comfort. Knowing its not only my own eyes that have experienced China, but those who are closest to me as well.

Just as the seasons change before our eyes, so do the seasons in our own lives as well. I have officially begun the process of applying to graduate school. A process that has really caused me to thing about what my time abroad has meant to me, and what it means for my future. I have become passionate about Adult Education, specifically ESL students. As I was writing my letter of intent, I couldn’t help but be reminded of all I have accomplished these past few years – teaching, growing, learning, traveling. I heard a quote from a friend one time, “You never know what ship you will bring home.” I had no idea that living abroad would change my life like it has. I’m just learning I need to trust God with whatever the outcome for school next year.

As Christmas is now approaching in the next few weeks, and I will be in Beijing for the holidays, it causing me to think about all that has happened this past year and what is to come in 2010. I feel so thankful to be where I am, doing what I’m doing, and being constantly exercised in my faith. I decorated my apartment for Christmas the other night, foolishly put on Christmas music (not good for homesickness), and poured myself a glass of wine. I’m thinking about how I will celebrate this year, with my friends and my church here, and feeling so thankful to have such good people in my life over here.

I hope this post finds each of my friends and family well. I hope as we all prepare for Christmas that we will each find Christ in new ways this year. Thinking of you in Beijing.

No comments: