Wednesday, January 27, 2010

role reversal

Its really strange when you begin to take care of your parents. There is a time in life, and I suspect its between the ages of 24-27, when your thinking begins to shift, circumstances change and you begin to feel a unusual sense of responsibility for your parents. I like it, in a way, but its also very strange at the same time. You begin to see you them in a certain way, realizing their humaness and you feel like you just want to protect them from everything. Since I've been living away in China, I have felt a new appreciation for my parents and the stuff they have had to put up with while my sister and I were growing up. But, also appreciating them for the ways they have taught us to be successful adults, at least, I'd like to think I'm one of those.

My dad slipped and fell on some ice, and broke three ribs a few days ago. Its hard when you see your parents in pain, like you would give anything to take on that pain yourself. Everything that you take for granted begins to become a struggle. Watching my dad trying to do the daily activities that normally are a no-brainer, but now are a struggle, is sobering. I can't help but think God teaches us lessons at very particular times in our lives, in different seasons. Me visiting home this time, is really teaching me the value of my relationships with my parents.

I think about taking care of them in the future and what that might entail. Just something I was thinking about today. I'm going to go and make my dad some lunch now.

No comments: