Thursday, January 14, 2010

the smell of home

I made it home safely. I was met at the airport by my parents who I immediately ran to. So good to see them again. I just love those moments of seeing the people you love after a long time. Seeing how they have changed, or stayed the same, and just wanting to hold onto that moment as long as you can. Since I am still very much jet jagged, everything feels almost dream like.

Visiting home every year feels a little different every time. This time, I can't quite put my finger on it. Places and faces that I have grown up with...I feel like I'm looking at them from the outside somehow. Have I really changed that much? Have I really been away for this long? Its like I can't take anything for granted anymore.

After a long plane ride over an ocean, and walking in my parent's house to the smell of home, gave me a huge sense of relief. My family and I sat around together last night, having our belated Christmas, eating dinner and just talking, I realized that this is one of the most important places in my life. It is so good to be home.

No comments: